Following a review by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA), 2018 will see the rollout of a streamlined range of new early childhood education qualification pathways that will be useful and relevant to current and future learners and employers.
PORSE is excited to be introducing an online New Zealand Certificate in Early Childhood Education & Care (Level 4) to the range of training programmes and courses on offer in 2018.
Erin Maloney, General Manager of PORSE Education & Training, says, “we’ve been transitioning into the online environment for over a year now and the new Level 4 qualification is an opportunity for us to put an education pathway out there that’s accessible and unique in its design and delivery. It will be a real point of difference for us.
Being online is now a must for tertiary education organisations like us and we’re proud to be breaking new ground with the online learning platforms and video conferencing technology that we’re using to engage learners and make PORSE learning accessible to anyone, anywhere, at any time.”
The New Zealand Certificate in Early Childhood Education & Care (Level 4) is a new qualification focused on practice-based education that equips learners with the skills that they need to become an Educator in any early childhood education service.
It is also seen as a pathway qualification to higher level study for those wanting to become qualified teachers.
Made up of eight learning modules, the Level 4 certificate allows learners to adopt a project-based learning approach to their studies.
The Level 4 certificate covers the following early childhood topics:
- Theories of children’s learning and development, including neuroscience, attachment relationships and transitions.
- Multiculturalism, family diversity and the bicultural nature of the early childhood curriculum, Te Whāriki.
- Planning, providing and reviewing rich learning experiences.
- Providing an environment that strengthens the health, wellbeing, care and safety of children.
- Effective communication and engaging in respectful, reciprocal and responsive relationships.
- Personal health, wellbeing and professional development.
- Legislation and regulatory requirements.
- Diverse philosophical and cultural contexts and approaches informing early childhood education in Aotearoa New Zealand, including a personal philosophy of practice.
Erin says that designing and delivering the qualification is an opportunity to stay current in an industry that is always evolving in terms of research and evidence-based practice.
“The Level 4 certificate is an exciting design development for us as we get to engage with current theory and practice in the early childhood education field to provide a new qualification pathway. Creating something new is always a great opportunity as you get to work with the latest research, and support learners to gain an authentic understanding of the early childhood education sector as it is right now.
“This is cutting edge and an online offering that we think learners will love.”